Wednesday, October 28, 2009

My Congresswoman: Eleanor Holmes Norton

I was scrolling through the articles on Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton from a search on Google and found one that really caught my eye. The headline read, DC's Eleanor Holmes Norton backs Same-Sex Marriage bill, and I was intrigued. I'd never heard of a bill for same-sex marriage even being introduced for the District. I really liked part of the quote. Norton said, "We should approach the rights of gay couples and families with the same resolution and results at we had for others who have sought their human rights in Congress and in the District."
Congresswoman Holmes Norton has also been pushing to find a way to pass a clean D.C. House Voting Rights bill. She asked the House Majority leader on October 15 if the bill could be put in with the Defense Appropriations Conference Report which raised objections with the Republican Party. This article is short and sweet but it really interested me especially since D.C. voting rights is something I have a strong opinion on.

No comments:

Post a Comment